Fight the Nazis! Hoo-rah! After that, I give you permission to farm. This series is about recommending or cautioning you about Steam games that are on sale today. I also try to recommend other good deals on games if I notice them.
As a general reminder, you’re going to want to wait until the game is on a daily feature sale, flash sale or a community choice sale. All of which can be seen on the front page of Steam. These will be the cheapest sales you will find during this event. You should also keep an eye on HumbleBundle.com, Amazon.com and GreenManGaming.com as they will sometimes do even better sales than Steam for the same copy. I will try and make you aware of any significant ones I see. Another further note, I was made aware that Origin has a 20% off coupon for games. GMG also has a 20% off coupon for their games as well. So, if you’re looking to buy an expensive game, that’s one way to go. So, without further ado, let’s begin:
- Men of War 2: Assault Squad: I…confess that this is another game that completely flew under my radar for no reason that I can think of, other than it’s another World War 2 game. We’re certainly not hurting for games in this time period. It’s more of a tactics game that has resource & micromanagement going on it. Has some interesting ideas and I haven’t heard anything overly bad about it.
- Left 4 Dead 2: While multiplayer focused, this game is doable on your own. I’d probably just not play any of the other co-op/PVP modes at this point because there are a lot of veterans still playing this game and will probably not be very tolerant of new players. One of my favorite co-op shooters of recent years, I finally put the game down this year as the group I was playing with has moved on. It’s graphically and mechanically quite impressive (though gunplay is fairly standard) and the workshop has produced some very interesting levels.
- Battleblock Theater: Another co-op comedy platformer from the same devs as Castle Crashers. The only reason I haven’t played this is due to lack of co-op people interested in trying it out. All I do know is that it’s another good one from The Behemoth and probably worth a look, especially at 90% off.
- Wolfenstein: The New Order: I’ve been hearing a lot of positive remarks (a lot of GOTY 2014 awards too) about this FPS. I think a lot of it has to do with how surprised everyone was that it wouldn’t suck. 66% off is a pretty darn good deal but not enough for me to pick up right now. Soon enough, I shall have this one. I will note: it is really nice to see that there hasn’t been any DLC offered for this title. I’m getting really sick of pointless DLC and the fact that the devs were brave enough to not produce DLC is worth some praise.
- Don’t Starve: I’ve tried the demo multiple times but have never really gotten into Klei’s 2D survival game. If you can tolerate starting over time you die, it’s worth giving it a shot. But as I can’t right now…I’ve mostly stayed away from Don’t Starve.
- The Stanley Parable: At 70% off, I can’t see any reason not to recommend giving this a try. It’s a game best experienced for yourself. After playing it, I had some internal debates about our relationship between gamers, reviewers and developers. I’m curious to see what other people think about this one.
Warning and Caution for these Game Deals:
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist: Contains Ubisoft’s DRM Uplay system. As I still have a Uplay DRM ban on my machines, I haven’t played this one. The Tom Clancy series has never really been in my interest zones either.
- Farming Simulator 15: Last I heard from a friend of mine, FS15 has a TON of performance problems, glitches and bugs to sort through. Which is not unexpected when you build your sequel in a new hand-built engine with its own physics. While the devs have a solid track record for patching things up, this is probably not worth it until things are in a better state. If you do desire some farming simulator in your life (and lord knows why you or I do…) pick up Farm Simulator 13 from the same company as it’s in a really polished state with a developed modding community.
- Construction Simulator 2015: It’s got mixed reviews which probably indicates some problems. There has been an absolute glut of simulators this year, everything from bus driving to wood chippers. It’s been…so ridiculous….There are only a few gems in the simulation market and this isn’t one of them. AFAIK.
Note: I’m going to try my hardest to get these posts out within the first couple of hours after the new deals are released. However, I am working irregular hours so it’s likely a few posts will get published late at night. The consolation is that these deals go for 48 hours so you have time to wait. So, check the previous day’s post if you want to know my opinion for those.
Check back tomorrow for more steam sales commentary! Thanks for reading and supporting this series!