A Merry Christmas from A Paladin Without A Crusade! It’s day seven of the Holiday sales. This series is about recommending or cautioning you about Steam games that are on sale today. I also try to recommend other good deals on games if I notice them.
Note: I will not be posting on Christmas Day. (I’ll cover the deals the next day). It’s from the bottom of my heart that I wish my readers a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I want to thank you for even coming here, it means a lot to me that people are still willing to come here time after time.
As a general reminder, you’re going to want to wait until the game is on a daily feature sale, flash sale or a community choice sale. All of which can be seen on the front page of Steam. These will be the cheapest sales you will find during this event. You should also keep an eye on HumbleBundle.com, Amazon.com and GreenManGaming.com as they will sometimes do even better sales than Steam for the same copy. I will try and make you aware of any significant ones I see. Another further note, I was made aware that Origin has a 20% off coupon for games. GMG also has a 20% off coupon for their games as well. So, if you’re looking to buy an expensive game, that’s one way to go. So, without further ado, let’s begin:
- Ultra Street Fighter IV: It’s a popular competitive fighting game that I have never gotten into nor have any interest in getting into. It’s got a lot of depth and crazy action going on and the PC port was at least reasonable from what I heard. But I have no interest in trying it out. Especially after I had a rough time with Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition. (Which means I sucked at it).
- Plague Inc: Evolved: The PC port of the original mobile game has been coming along very well. It is in Early Access but the game is in a stable state. It’s simply there to continue working on competitive & co-operative multiplayer mode + Linux support. It’s mostly a lot of clicking bubbles, dialogues and watching your virus/disease/zombie infestation spread across the world. I’ve always had mixed feelings with Plague Inc. At times I find it too boring or predictable and other times I find it too frustrating or difficult. I haven’t put my finger on what exactly about this game causes those feelings. This isn’t a lazy port from mobile I should add. The PC port has lots of new animations, an enhanced UI and the upcoming multiplayer really excites me. I think it’s worth picking up at this price.
- Gauntlet: I’ve seen it on the front store, I know it’s 4-player co-op dungeon crawler. That’s really all I know and it’ll probably be a while before I take a look at it, if I ever do.
- Terraria: Terraria has had an interesting life. With its developer stopping development and then picking it back up this year with a whole giant update that I haven’t gotten around to trying out. It’s a 2D adventure sandbox that I had a lot of fun with. At $1.99, there’s no reason not to get if you haven’t bought it already.
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Oof…I have conflicting thoughts on this turn-based strategy game. On the one hand, it’s gorgeous and has solid gameplay, for the most part. On the other hand, there are a lot of bugs and random stuff that can completely screw you over. The difficulty curve can also suddenly skyrocket at the end and you can lose your entire trained squadron of soldiers. And then what? You’re dead. The game more or less encourages constant reloading of saves so your most elite soldiers don’t get wiped out, leaving you in a precarious position. At least, that’s what I think it does. DLC is only 67% off today so not as good as 75% but the best they’ve ever been on sale. If you liked Enemy Unknown, you’ll probably like Enemy Within as it expands upon what the game first built with new enemies, exo-suits and psych powers for your soldiers. It’s still a lot of fun despite my complaints about it.
Warning and Caution for these Game Deals:
- The Evil Within: It’s gotten mixed reviews. It was developed by Shinji Mikami which means….well, if Resident Evil’s videogame series is any indication, a whole lot of nonsense and uninteresting gameplay. I’m staying away from this title. It doesn’t help that it’s a genre I’m not comfortable in (gore, extreme survival horror, etc) but to have a lame gameplay behind it doesn’t get me interested.
- Lords of The Fallen: The first RPG that copies a lot of its combat systems from Dark Souls. And from what I heard, it didn’t do a terrible job of it…it’s just not as good as it could have been. Slightly annoyed that most of photos on the Steam page are photoshopped nonsense with nothing showing off the game itself. It also has performance & crashing issues a plenty.
- FarCry 4: This game has performance problems. Ubisoft has been working on it but this is yet another game from Ubisoft that was released in an iffy state this year. Though it was the least worst, that isn’t saying a lot when you compare it to AssCreed Unity. The general consensus on FC4 is that it’s FarCry 3+. It’s more of the same gameplay, story and open world that Ubisoft is too well know for at this point. OTHER DRM: Ubisoft Uplay.
- Life is Feudal: Early Access game that I know little about, how it performs or if it’s even remotely good.
So, check the previous day’s post if you want to know my opinion for those sales.
Check back tomorrow for more steam sales commentary! Thanks for reading and supporting this series!