It’s crazy, it’s zany and it’s all open game in the world of Steam. Welcome, to day six of the Holiday sales. This series is about recommending or cautioning you about Steam games that are on sale today. I also try to recommend other good deals on games if I notice them.
As a general reminder, you’re going to want to wait until the game is on a daily feature sale, flash sale or a community choice sale. All of which can be seen on the front page of Steam. These will be the cheapest sales you will find during this event. You should also keep an eye on HumbleBundle.com, Amazon.com and GreenManGaming.com as they will sometimes do even better sales than Steam for the same copy. I will try and make you aware of any significant ones I see. Another further note, I was made aware that Origin has a 20% off coupon for games. GMG also has a 20% off coupon for their games as well. So, if you’re looking to buy an expensive game, that’s one way to go. So, without further ado, let’s begin:
- Game of Thrones – A Telltale Game Series: Not to be confused with Game of Thrones or Game of Thrones. (Seriously guys, let’s figure out better titles). Telltale seems to be on a roll ever since their rather big success with The Walking Dead games. Everything I’ve heard about this game is that it’s more of what you expect from Telltale and still really good. I’m currently waiting for all six episodes of this to be released before I pick it up, as I’m not a very big fan of the episodic gaming format. I find waiting months and months for a new chapter to be a meh experience. I can be patient and wait for the rest of them to be released so I can enjoy it all in one go. 25% off is not the greatest sale on earth either but it was just released this month so I’m not sure what more you can expect. You can pick it up on GreenManGaming cheaper if you use their coupon.
- Payday 2: The four player co-op FPS that got a lot of popularity this year is a pretty darn fun experience…if you have friends willing to play it. As I don’t, well, I don’t have much interest in it right now. I’m sure its pretty fine with random people as well though.
- Scribblenauts Unlimited: You solve a lot of puzzles with words and can possible create chaotic situations in which you’re entirely DOOOMED! Ok, maybe not doomed. If I had a kid(s), this is the game I would get for them since it’s almost a teaching game as well as a puzzle game. I have a lot of respect for the creativity that’s on display with this game and I am considering picking it up.
- Just Cause 2: Choatic free-roaming open world game at $2.99. I’m pretty sure that price is way too low for this game. Just Cause 2 is like Saints Row III, except on more rugged terrain and a grapple. It’s a lot of silliness and I’m pretty sure you can’t go wrong at this price.
- Garry’s Mod: The Source physics sandbox without goals or aims. It is infamous among the machinima community for creativity it allows. It’s still being supported by the developer 8 years later with ports to Mac & Linux, Workshop support and much more.
- Age of Wonders III: Pretty sure I talked about this game before, so, I’ll just quote myself again. Age of Wonders III is one of my favorite turn-based grand strategy games to come out this year. The unique mixing of empire building, role playing and warfare really make for a fun experience everytime I sit down to play it. Beautiful soundtrack, great visuals and lots of content. It has some minor performance issues but they’ve been steadily working on patching those up. There’s another expansion currently in the works to boot. You can’t go wrong with the DLC either even though its only 33% off today (it came out recently).
- Legend of Grimrock: This dungeon crawler was one of my favorite games of 2012. With it’s interesting FPS tile-based combat, tricky puzzles and incredible atmosphere you can’t go wrong with LoG. It’s such an incredible looker too.
Warning and Caution for these Game Deals:
- Bioshock Infinite: Frankly, it’s a highly overrated game. The gunplay is dreadfully boring with lots of bullet sponges and unimpressive abilities. The game uses a lot of tricks to hide what it’s doing. The story itself is questionable in how “good” it is. I feel there are better FPSes on the market right now.
- Goat Simulator: Might be a slight bit unfair to put Goat Simulator down here, but….just no to this game. It’s a “whacky” open world physics sandbox with “humor” (Read: references)….and that’s the only reason it exists. I skipped this and have no interest in ever playing it ever.
- Assetto Corsa: Driving simulator racing game. Having a 50% off discount within four days of being released from Early Access is really suspicious to me. It’s possible that it might not be selling well. Other than that, I don’t know much about it beyond what the Steam page says.
Note: I’m going to try my hardest to get these posts out within the first couple of hours after the new deals are released. However, I am working irregular hours so it’s likely a few posts will get published late at night. The consolation is that these deals go for 48 hours so you have time to wait. So, check the previous day’s post if you want to know my opinion for those.
Check back tomorrow for more steam sales commentary! Thanks for reading and supporting this series!