Day eleven is here and we’re all over the place with this one. So let’s get with it.
This series is about recommending or cautioning you about games on the Steam Daily Sale as well as any interesting GOG sales that might catch my eyes. That being said, GOG.com’s Winter sales are done for the year. Don’t forget that yesterday’s deals are still in effect for another 24 hours so check out my previous post for information on those. So let’s get onto day eleven of this year’s sale.
- Mass Effect 2 (and 1): Mass Effect 2 was one of my favorite games way back in 2010/2011. It’s, in my opinion, the best of the series. The storyline is good, the characters are better developed, the graphics actually look good and Bioware has fixed a lot of the kinks the original Mass Effect had. However, it isn’t without issues. The combat system is still fairly meh in this game. It’s not dull like the previous one but it isn’t the most awesome thing you’ll find. What you will find is that you’ll be rushing through the combat sections just to get to the story sections. So, that’s something to keep in mind. Also keep in mind that EA has integrated certain bits of Origin into this game.
- Euro Truck Simulator 2: Just got gifted this so I haven’t had a chance to play it but I’ve heard great things about it. If you’re a simulator/driving nut, this may be the game for you. And it’s fairly cheap too. The DLC is pretty light and it’s running on Linux now.
- Trine 2: Complete Story: It’s on sale again for $1.99. If you missed it last time, now’s your chance to pick it up again.
- The Swapper and Risk of Rain: I can’t really comment on these two indie platformers because they’re both on my wishlist and I haven’t heard enough about them to give an opinion. But so far, Risk of Rain looks to be a very cool action platformer game and the Swapper looks to be gorgeous. I guess the fact that I haven’t heard anything overly negative so far is something as well.
Warning and Caution on these Games:
- Total War: Rome II: A COMPLETE avoid on this game. Sega promised big but this game is a huge step backwards for the entire series. It was initially launched with severe bugs and multiple problems. According to a friend who’s into these games, a lot of the game mechanics previous Total War games had were removed and the game was dumbed down. The fact that a game like this is 50% off so close after it’s initial launch should also tell you something about the state it’s in. It also doesn’t help that Sega reportedly removed features in the game if they thought they could get a 90%+ rating on Metacritic. Well, that obviously didn’t work and it backfired on them. So I do hope you don’t buy this game. I’d rather we didn’t support this developer’s bad ideas and I would recommend looking at previous games in the series if you want to get one of them.
- Deadlight: Deadlight has a lot of reported problems with controls and minor issues. Considering it’s a game that can easily frustrate you if you’re not good enough, adding on frustrating controls will probably send you over the edge. Definitely recommending you research this game before purchasing.
- Sniper 2: Ghost Warrior: I’ve heard nothing but terrible reviews about this game. You’ll want to research before buying.
Hope you enjoyed this post, more recommendations coming tomorrow! This is also the last week of the Steam Christmas sale so keep that in mind.
Have a Happy New Year!