Ahh Steam. You’re a lovely store service. But if there is one thing I haven’t been anticipating from you this year, it’s going through the agonizing torture of trying not to buy games from the Winter Sale. And here comes the Winter sale. Seems this Winter sale actually has some teeth to it, unlike last year, as I’m seeing some killer deals out of the gate. So, I decided to do this series. A series to recommend games that you should buy during the holidays. I initially did this last year on my Google+ profile but I want to share the love/advice to the rest of the Internet. So, on the blog it goes. My recommendations will focus on the Daily Deals on Steam as well as pull some sales from GOG if I think they’re worth it. Of course, a lot of those GOG sales really are worth it so why aren’t you over there buying every game on their site? 😉 I might suggest Flash sales or other good deals but keep in mind that those are very time sensitive so I probably won’t focus on them too much. Anyway, here goes.
- Dishonored. Stealth action game from Bethesda that’s a really sweet game. Has open-world-ish parts to it, an incredibly well created world, the ability to go stealth or full-on-rampage and affect the story when you do so. I really enjoyed Dishonored and I hope that Bethesda keeps the franchise going. At 75% off, if you’re looking for a new open world game to play with a good story behind it, Dishonored is the way to go.
- Super Hexagon: It’s 59 cents. If that isn’t worth buying, I don’t know what else I could say to you. Even if it’s “bad”, you lose 59 cents. I can think of worse ways to spend 59 cents. I’ve heard this game is great so I’m looking forward to playing it.
- Pinball FX2 (The Pinball DLC Tables): All but the recently released table (Doctor Strange) are 50-75% off. These tables are excellent and if you enjoy pinball games, this is definitely the pinball game to get. Pinball FX2 features tables ranging from Star Wars to Marvel to Tesla. I’ve got about half of them collected and I have no complaints with the quality of any of them. Give it a look!
- Monaco: A game I was recently gifted but haven’t had the chance to play. At 80% off, this multiplayer co-op game might be something you’ll be interested in this Christmas. Features cross-platform support, pixelated graphics and a colorful style, I’ll recommend it for those things alone. Hopefully I’ll have more to say about it next year.
- The Stanley Parable: The game is getting a lot of attention but I have yet to play it. Still, I can’t but help recommend it based off a close friend’s recommendation and that’s where the entirety of my recommendation comes from. Hoping to play this later as well and while 40% off isn’t much, it is a recent release so that’s to be expected.
Warning and Caution on these Games:
- Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is on Steam. This came out of nowhere and I believe this is the first day it’s been up on Steam. I also believe this is the first official PC port of the Metal Gear series. I wouldn’t pre-order it though, who knows if it was actually ported to PC correctly. It is being developed by PlatinumGames who have a pretty good track record of being decent developers so I can only hope they do justice to this game. I’m not going to lie, I’m really excited about this game being on Steam. But I’m going to hold off until after it’s launched before I buy it.
- Bioshock Infinite: A lot of hype went into this game but for all the pretty the game brings, it looks to have one of the more mind-numbingly boring combat systems of recent memory. I would highly recommend reading reviews and watching gameplay footage before buying this game.
- Space Hulk: This game came out to poor reviews. It’s graphics aren’t great, it’s poorly optimized and the game really should have multiplayer. As-is, for fans of Space Hulk it has been a disappointing port to the PC.
- Dead Island, GOTY edition: Game had an incredible trailer a long while ago that the game had no hope of living up to. And it didn’t, to say the least. Check out reviews or gameplay footage to see if it suits you. Otherwise, be careful.
Hope you enjoyed this post, more recommendations coming tomorrow!
Have a Merry Christmas and more posts coming soon…